Rules for holding and organizing Eurasia, the Fifteenth International Film Festival
- General provisions
- These rules for organizing and conducting Eurasia, the Fifteenth International Film Festival (hereinafter - the Rules) determine the procedure for holding and organizing Eurasia, the Fifteenth International Film Festival (hereinafter - the Film Festival)
- The founder of the Film Festival is Ministry of Culture and Sports of the Republic of Kazakhstan (hereinafter – the Ministry).
- Goals and objectives of the festival
- The purpose of the Film Festival is the development of Kazakhstan's cinema as an art and industry, increasing the interest of the general public to the cinematographic art, strengthening international cooperation.
- The objectives of the Film Festival are:
1) strengthening and developing international relations in the field of cinema with special attention to promising partners in co-production and distribution of Kazakhstani films: the countries of Europe, Asia, America, Central Asia and the CIS countries
2) positioning the Film Festival as a unique cultural and cinematic bridge between Europe and Asia
3) presentation and promotion of the best film projects and achievements of Kazakhstani film industry
4) development of cooperation with the international film community
5) the establishment and promotion of business relations between producers, investors and distributors of European and Asian countries
6) promotion of Kazakhstani films at other international film festivals, including category A festivals
7) the formation of interest and patriotism of Kazakhstani viewers to domestic cinema
8) distribution of information about the cultural and cinematic life of Kazakhstan among domestic and foreign media.
- The film festival is accredited by the International Federation of Film Producers Associations (FIAPF) as a specialized competitive festival.
- The film festival is held from 30 June 2019 to 6 July 2019 for no more than seven days in Nur-Sultan city (Republic of Kazakhstan).
- The official languages of the Film Festival: Kazakh, Russian and English.
- The order of holding the Film Festival
- The Film Festival’s program consists of the following events:
1) Opening of the Film Festival: Kazakhstan Central Concert Hall
2) Films’ screenings: Khan-Shatyr shopping mall, Nur-Sultan city
3) Official closing of the Film Festival: Kazakhstan Central Concert Hall
4) Eurasia Project Market is a business platform for protecting projects of young Kazakhstani filmmakers at the script or production stage (pitching); workshops and conferences
5) PCC – professional cinema club, organizing creative evenings and leisure activities for the Festival’s participants.
- Partners of the Film Festival:
1) Town council (Mayor‘s office) of Nur-Sultan
2) Kazakh National University of Arts
3) Kazakhfilm Joint Stock Company named after Shaken Aimanov
4) Chaplin movie theaters network
5) International Federation of Film Producers Associations (FIAPF)
6) Joint-stock company: Khabar, Kazakh TV, Yel Arna
7) Tengri FM radio station
8) The main film portal of Kazakhstan - Brod.kz
9) The main news portal of Kazakhstan - tengrinews.kz
10) Film Festival Center: RIXOS President Astana Hotel
11) Professional Cinema Club: RIXOS President Astana Hotel.
- Organizing, preparing and holding the Film Festival is carried out by the Non-profit JSC State Center for the Support of National Cinema (hereinafter referred to as SCSNC) in accordance with Appendix 1 to the Rules for organizing and holding the Film Festival.
- Cinema organizations and cinematographers of any countries without territorial restrictions are invited to participate in the Film Festival.
- The Film Festival’s program consists of:
1) Contest program – at least twelve full-length films produced in 2018-2019 from Asia and Europe without thematic and genre restrictions of at least sixty minutes
2) Film contest program - at least twelve short fiction and animation films produced in 2018-2019 from Asia and Europe without thematic and genre restrictions, with duration of at least 7 minutes and not more than 40 minutes
3) Out-of-contest film program – PARTICULAR EVENT – that represents a retrospective of films by masters of the world cinema from different eras and genres, including anniversary films, opening and closing films of the Festival, retrospectives – at least five films.
4) FIPRESCI CHOICE and NETPAC CHOICE programs
5) OBECT GLASS documentary film programs – out-of-contest program of the best documentaries – at least ten films
6) Out-of-contest program of contemporary Kazakhstani cinema – FROM THE HEART OF EURASIA – shows of the best Kazakhstani films as of 2018-2019 – at least ten films
7) The total number of films participating in film programs of the Film Festival is not less than fifty
8) The dates for creation of films-participants in out-of-contest Film Festival’s programs are not limited
9) The number of films participating in out-of-contest film programs at the Film Festival is determined by the program department of the Film Festival in accordance with the goals and objectives of each out-of-contest film program.
- Films in DCP digital format and Blu-ray, with subtitles in English and Russian, take part in the contest program of the Film Festival.
Copies of films selected into the out-of-contest program of the Film Festival should be sent to SCSNC no later than 10 June 2019.
- Other Film Festival programs accept films in the following formats: DCP, Blu-ray, Cinando VL.
Copies of films taken for display in other programs of the Film Festival should be sent to GTNC no later than June 1, 2019.
- A film selected for one of the Film Festival programs cannot be recalled back after the official confirmation of its participation.
- Each film can be shown during the Film Festival no more than two times.
- Those who wish to submit a film for participation in the programs of the Film Festival must fill out the application form of the participant in accordance with Appendix 2 to the rules of holding and organizing the Film Festival (hereinafter - Appendix 2) and submit a preview copy of the film for selection on DVD or Internet link with subtitles in English or Russian no later than 21 May, 2019.
- After notifying participants of the selection of their films into the programs of the Film Festival, film authors should send participation confirmation and the following documents to the Directorate:
1) subtitled page (dialogue sheets) in English or Russian
2) necessary information and materials about the film listed in Appendix 2.
- Costs of transporting copies of films of in-contest and out-of-contest programs of the Film Festival to Nur-Sultan city and back (the airport of the sender - Nur-Sultan - the airport of the recipient) shall be covered by the inviting party. The Film Festival reserves the right to share the cost of transporting film copies with partner film festivals. The inviting party pays for the rights of a non-commercial display, insurance, and customs clearance for films that participate in the Film Festival programs.
- The sender of the film copy notifies the SCSNC about the method of sending the film, and also sends a copy of the air waybill by fax or e-mail.
The cost of storing and insuring copies of films included in the programs of the Film Festival is paid by the SCSNC.
- Participation of feature films in the contest program of the Film Festival provides for the mandatory presence of one representative of the film (director, actor / actress, producer) at the awards ceremony.
- Inviting guests, terms and conditions of their stay and accreditation at the Film Festival is approved by the decision of the SCSNC. The conditions of stay for the guests of the Film Festival are stipulated by the SCSNC in their personal invitations.
- Film Festival Jury and Nominations
- An international jury is created to evaluate competitive films (hereinafter referred to as the Jury). An international jury of at least five people is created to evaluate full-length competitive films and international jury of at least five people will be awarded to an assessment of short meter contest films. The composition of the Jury is approved by the SCSNC.
The Jury may not include persons who participated in the creation or commercial distribution of competitive pictures.
- An independent international jury from the Network for the Promotion of Asian Cinema (NETPAC), at least two people in each, is present at the Film Festival.
- Costs of a return journey, accommodations, payment of fees, as well as transportation costs during the stay of the Jury members shall be borne by the SCSNC.
- The jury determines the holders of awards in nominations, Eurasia Award statuettes and cash rewards:
- The order of payment of cash reward:
Full-length Feature Film Competition:
- Grand Prix for the Best Film (awarded to the film's producer)
- Prize for the Best Director ;
- Special jury prize
- Prize for the Best Male Role
- Prize for the Best Female role .
Short Film Competition:
- Grand Prix for the best film (awarded to the film's producer).
- The order of payment of cash reward:
1) for residents of the Republic of Kazakhstan – in tenge – by transferring to a personal account within ten banking days after the official Closing Ceremony of the Film Festival
2) for non-residents – in free convertible currency – by transferring to a personal account within ten banking days after the official Closing Ceremony of the Film Festival
3) Tax on personal income is deducted out of the monetary reward: at the amount of twenty percent (20 %) for residents of the Republic of Kazakhstan, and at the amount of 20 (twenty) percent for non-residents, in accordance with the tax legislation of the Republic of Kazakhstan.
- The Jury can:
1) refrain from awarding prizes for any nomination of the Film Festival
2) justify the award of the Film Festival prizes.
- The Jury takes part in screenings and discussions of all competitive films.
- The Jury makes decision by an open vote.
- The decision to award prizes is drawn up by a protocol signed by all members of the Jury.
- The decision of the jury is announced at the Closing Ceremony of the Film Festival, is final and not a subject to revision.
- Public and other organizations, sponsors can set their prizes and awards to the participants of the Film Festival, which must be agreed with the SCSNC before 20 June, 2019.
- Informational coverage of the Film Festival
- In order to provide wide informational coverage of Eurasia, the Fifteenth International Film Festival in foreign and Kazakhstani mass media, SCSNC organizes the work of the Film Festival’s Press Office, the issue of press releases, provides media (hereinafter referred to as media) with all the necessary information materials.
- SCSNC organizes press conferences with participants of competitive programs and guests of the Film Festival.
- SCSNC produces advertising materials, audio and video clips, provides and pays for the advertising campaign of the Film Festival in press, on radio and television, in the city’s outdoor advertising. SCSNC organizes the production of the video diaries of the Film Festival that are daily broadcast on the leading TV channel of the Republic of Kazakhstan during the Film Festival, and the video diaries are duplicated on social networks, on You Tube channel and the official profiles of the Film Festival.
- In order to promote the Film Festival in the international market, SCSNC establishes cooperation with foreign specialized media, pays for the arrival of journalists and their accommodation in Nur-Sultan.
- Following the coverage of the Film Festival's work, not less than thirty informational materials will be published (articles, interviews, reviews, photo essays, etc.) in foreign and Kazakhstani print media (at least 20,000 copies) and five TV broadcast reports.
- Completing the Film Festival
- After the closing of the Film Festival and until 31 December, 2019 the SCSNC will hold the following activities:
1) the report submission on holding of Eurasia, the Fifteenth International Film Festival to the Ministry
2) summing up the results of conferences and round tables of the Film Festival, analysis and systematization of recommendations made on the development of film industry in Kazakhstan
3) continuation of work on the reached agreements of the Film Festival with international partners.